Ithaca is a creative sound & light art studio with offices/warehouses in Portslade, Brighton UK and Chicago USA. We’re a small, dedicated team with a reputation for creating incredible, unique audio-visual experiences around the world. Our works span light trails, festivals, art exhibitions, corporate projects, live music, advertising and everything in-between… all fused by our aim to push sound, light and creativity into new areas.
Who we’re looking to recruit
We are looking to recruit an experienced Operations Manager with a track record of successful management and delivery within the events and arts industries. You will have worked for a major events / arts company in a leadership role and be confident with the technical management of projects and people under fast paced conditions.
The Operations Manager will have overall responsibility for the technical delivery of all company projects, ensuring the highest standards of work and the efficient running of our teams. They will manage and organise day to day scheduling of the Project Design Team, the Warehouse Coordinator and expanding overseas teams. The role will be based out of our Brighton office/warehouse but require national and international travel to oversee the installation / derig of our projects.
This is a broad role and as such you should be extremely organised with a driven attitude and passion for making large scale, creative projects happen. You will be an excellent communicator and happy managing multiple people towards different objectives. You will be adaptable and equally comfortable project planning from the office as providing oversight in a muddy festival field.
- Management of the Project Design Team on technical, production and day to day scheduling aspects of ongoing projects (The Project Design Team report to the Managing Director on creative aspects)
- Managing the Warehouse Team along with US Contractors
- Onsite for all major project builds for technical production support and sign-off
- Work with Managing Director, Development Manager and Finance Manager to create top-line budgets for the Project Design Team
- Multi-project workload and Milestone Planning
- Sign off on all Project Design Team project plans and budget breakdowns
- Sign off on all Project Design Team technical drawings and equipment planning
- Multi-project planning including assignment of crew & logistics
- Ensuring all details in our Project Management software are up to date.
- Daily meetings with the Project Design Team
- Reporting directly to the Managing Director with weekly meetings to provide updates
Essential Experience Required
- Multiple years’ experience in an Operations / Management role within the events industry
- Strong project management skills including technical planning, milestone tracking, critical-paths and risk management.
- Excellent team management and leadership skills
- A strong background in all aspects of temporary event builds from structures and plant to logistics, crew and H&S
- IT skills including project management software, industry specific software e.g. Vectorworks, Microsoft Office 365 & Google Suite programs
- Full clean driving license and use of own vehicle
- Passport holder and not subject to travel restrictions
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Knowledge of arts-based events management
- Health and Safety Qualifications
- First Aid Training
- Plant tickets e.g. scissor lift, tele-handler, forklift licenses etc.
Details & benefits
- £30,000 to £35,000 per annum (depending on experience)
- 35-hour week, with semi-flexible & some WFH working hours
- Due to the type of work evening and weekend work may be required on occasions for which TOIL is available
- Profit Share Scheme – We realise dedicating yourself long-term to a company is a big deal. Following 3 years’ service all staff are eligible for the company profit share scheme, receiving a share of company annual profits.
- 20 days holiday + Bank Holidays + additional days off at Christmas
- Company Laptop
- Company mobile phone or remuneration for use of own mobile phone
- Company matched pension scheme
- Onsite parking
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Company EAP (Employee Assistance Program) designed to support personal well-being and mental health. This includes confidential expert advice, counselling services and extends to your immediate family to help support those difficult times in life.
Workplace & Diversity
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org